Campus jobs pay in more ways than one

By Samantha Aizen

Being a student at Miami University is no free ride. The cost of living, as well as books, tuition and just some pocket change all add up. For this reason and others, more than 4,000 students are on the university's payroll. More than 2,000 of those students work in the dining services, the Culinary Support Center (CSC), Carillon Catering trucking and residence halls.

Jaime Kimbrough, interim director of staffing and administrative services for the department of housing, dining, recreation and business services (HDRBS), explained how having a job on campus is beneficial for the students' futures.

"We have had students in the past come and speak to the student managers, and they talk about how much the experience working at Miami has helped them in their current jobs," Kimbrough said.

Student managers have said how much these jobs have helped them get to where they are today. They have gained confidence and become independent because of these jobs as well as taught the importance of discipline and skills with communication.

"It's the responsibility and the leadership opportunity that I really enjoy," Chris Andersen said, a senior marketing major, who too on additional student manager duties at the new student center.

Eric Yung, executive chef in student dining, said he is surprised how dedicated Miami students are at working, despite their busy schedules and course loads.

"I find in general Miami students are very focused, bright and inquisitive ... there is a certain level of pride in Miami students. They are the classic over achievers and want to do a good job at everything that they do," Yung said.

He said students are easy to work with and provide benefit given they are also consumers. They are in a position to give great suggestions for improvement.

Students work for many reasons. Tuition and paying for books are a big reason for the necessity of a job. Others are just looking for some pocket change. Some students work not necessarily just for money, but for a way to give back. Sophomore Carson White works at the Howe Writing Center in King library and helps improve fellow students' writing pieces.

"I also wanted to help students on campus and I thought that being a writing center consultant would be a great way to do so while still doing something I love," she said.

On average, most students work about eight hours a week while working for about $8.25 an hour. According to White, the only downside to her job is that shifts are not very flexible if she is in need to get her shifts covered.

Carson said she is grateful to be able to participate by working at one of the best writing centers in the nation and added having that experience is hard to come by.

"I strongly suggest students try and take advantage of these wonderful opportunities we have here at Miami," she said.