Bill aims to require midterm grade disclosure

By Samantha Callender

At their first meeting of the semester, the members of Miami University's Associated Student Government (ASG) passed a bill aiming to require professors to make midterm grade reports available to all students and introduced a resolution that would change how incoming students find roommates.

After discussing students' concerns brought forth by the senators that ranged from bullying uptown to "plushness" of toilet paper in the residence halls, ASG debated and passed the bill that would make midterm grades available to all students.

The bill, which was first proposed by off-campus senators Ari Frum, Lizzie Litzow and Peter Dougherty, now requires professors to make midterm grades accessible to students, although ASG can't enforce this. Some senators expressed concern over the feasibility of mandating professors to calculate midterm grades.

"The job of ASG is to create laws, not enforce them," Senator Brandon Patterson said. "But hopefully, this gives incentive for professors to keep students up to date, and students will be better to more accurately keep track of their standing in their classes."

The bill passed 38-2.

"This is a way to increase classroom proficiency and the college experience for students that has minimal costs to the university," Student Body President Nick Huber said.

Another topic on the ASG agenda was a resolution that would change the Roommate Search Tool incoming students use. The current system is a survey taken in May that matches students with those whom they may be most compatible with rather than opting for random roommate selection. Senators Cole Tyman, Peter Dougherty and Ben Richards, who introduced the legislation, said 11.4 percent of the class of 2015 used this tool as a method of potentially selecting a roommate and only 1.6 percent selected their roommate based on the results.

A big piece of the resolution would make the survey readily available to incoming students.

"There's going to be an email sent to every incoming student asking, ‘would you like help finding a roommate,'" Tyman said.

The resolution would also change some of the questions asked and lengthen the time period students have to take the survey. Housing Dining Recreation and Business Services is in charge of this survey but will work with organizations like ASG and the Residence Hall Association to alter the questions, according to Tyman.

ASG hopes future classes will further utilize the tool in order to select a roommate to eliminate dreaded roommate crises, which drain university and Residence Life staff of time and resources.

"When you have a bad relationship with your roommate, Miami University has to expend resources moving that student," Dougherty said.

ASG will debate this resolution at the next meeting.

Four Senator positions are vacant this semester, three of which are off-campus.