Student arrested for inducing panic with Facebook picture
The investigation of the Jan. 9 rape of a Miami University student continues, but the Oxford Police Department has charged a first-year student who posted the composite sketch of the rape suspect on http://facebook.com. James Sharpe, 18, was arrested and charged for inducing panic Feb. 3 after two female students called the OPD and complained about his personal profile on the Web site, which displayed the suspect's sketch as his own picture.
Sharpe was scheduled to appear in front of the judge at Oxford's Area One Court Thursday morning, but the hearing was rescheduled for Feb. 16.
"Our duty, when someone brings an issue to us of a criminal nature is to do what our part of it is," Squance said. "And our part is to determine if there is probable cause and to issue charges."
According to a Feb. 9 press release from the OPD, police officers and detectives continue to apply resources and investigative hours to all events reported to them.
It is unknown whether the university will look into Sharpe's charges at this time.
"I don't know that we have an opinion at this time," said Richard Nault, vice president of Student Affairs. "If a student is found by judicial affairs to be a threat to the university community, charges are filed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?