VP of Student Affairs search narrows to two candidates

By Reis Thebault

Miami University has identified the final two candidates for the long-vacant vice president of student affairs position and each have an open forum on campus in the coming week.

Jean Kim, former vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life UMass Amherst's, session is from 1:30 to 2:10 p.m. Friday Nov. 15 in 100 Art Building.

Kim has extensive student affairs experience, working in offices at UMass Amherst, University of Colorado Boulder and Stanford University, among others.

In a letter to the Vice President for Student Affairs search committee, Kim expressed her vision.

"I am passionate about creating and maintaining an inclusive, diverse, and innovative learning community that leads to student success," Kim said.

Jayne Brownwell, the current assistant vice president for student affairs at Hofstra University, has her open forum from 1:30 to 2:10 p.m. Tuesday Nov. 19 in 001 Upham Hall.

Brownwell works as the assistant vice president for student affairs at Hofstra and, in the past has worked for University of Michigan and Columbia University.

On her résumé's cover letter, Brownwell expounded on what she could bring to Miami.

"Passion for students remains the 'true north' by which I steer my efforts," Brownwell said. "Buut as [assistant vice president] at Hofstra, I have also found a new sense of reward in working with and mentoring staff to build a cohesive team with a common vision for our work on behalf of students."

Miami University describes the ideal candidate as one who, "Will be a visionary, collaborative, creative and experienced professional who has strong administrative, financial and planning skills."