Bats push RedHawks past Eastern Kentucky

By Steven Perkins

The Miami University baseball team topped the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels 6-3 behind the strength of its bats Wednesday.

The Miami (15-20) bats put up 12 hits and scored in five of the nine innings in the win over the Colonels (17-20).

Head coach Danny Hayden said he was happy with the whole team's play.

"It was a pretty clean game," Hayden said. "The pitchers did a good job throwing strikes for the most part and we swung the bats pretty well throughout the game so it was good."

Sophomore Wynston McMartin got his first career start for Miami. He pitched 3 innings, allowing three hits and two earned runs.

Also pitching for the RedHawks was junior Ryan Haynes. He threw three scoreless innings to grab his second win of the year. He now has the lowest ERA of any Miami pitcher, with a 1.64. Haynes faced eleven batters and recorded three strikeouts.

In an effort to save some arms for its upcoming series against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, EKU used a different pitcher in each of the nine innings.

"It's a little bit of a challenge sometimes just cause you want to be able to get used to a guy," Hayden said. "We handled what they threw us well."

Freshman second baseman Steve Sada said it didn't really affect the team much.

"Usually in a regular game you see two or three different pitchers anyway," Sada said. "Most of them were 85 or 86 mile per hour right handed guys so it wasn't too bad."

The Colonels put up a run in the ninth inning in an effort to come back, but Hayden said he was happy with the team's response. Freshman pitcher Jacob Banks allowed the run, but was able to shut the door to preserve the win. Banks threw 25 pitches in the ninth inning. He faced six batters, giving up three hits and one run.

"I think Banks did a good job," Hayden said. "The biggest thing there is just not to give guys free bases and Banks did a good job. I like our chances with most of our relievers on the mound with a four run lead. If they're throwing strikes we'll be alright."

Sada led the team in RBIs Wednesday. He finished the night 2 for 3 with a double and three RBIs.

"I was just looking for fastballs early in the count with guys on base," Sada said.

Hayden said Sada has had a good season as a freshman.

"Steve's been doing a really good job at the plate," Hayden said. "He's been doing a good job defensively too. He's got a high motor and he's having himself a really good freshman year."

Sada said he's been putting in all the effort he can.

"I've just been trying to work as hard as I can and hustle all the time," Sada said. "It's hard because you have to fight for your spot every game and just go out and show what you can do."

The RedHawks have now won two games in a row and look to extend that to a full-blown winning streak as they face to Mid-American Conference opponent Eastern Michigan University on the road this weekend.

"Going into the weekend we're going to need to get some wins," Sada said. "Especially in the MAC."