Editorial | If you like it, then you should wait to put a ring on it: Wait to tie knot after college

By Editorial Board

"Mawage. Mawage is what bwings us together today. Mawage. That bwessed awangment. That dweam within a dweam."

Yes, marriage is a wonderful thing. For many of us, we dream about our wedding day. Some may have their best man picked out. Others may have a (very extensive) wedding board on Pinterest. But for a few Miami University students, this whole marriage thing isn't just a thought - it's a reality.

"Ring Before Spring" is a term often used to refer to college men and women who get engaged during the spring semester of their senior year.

And while the median age at which both men and women are getting married has risen since the 80s - up from 25 to 28 years old for men and up from 21 to 26 years old for women - there are still a handful of couples that are undergraduates.

The editorial board at The Miami Student has varying opinions on this concept. While the majority of us weren't all too fond of pre-grad engagements, we all had different reasons as to why we felt this way.

Those of us who are in long-term relationships seemed to empathize more with this idea. Our campus editor, Victoria Slater, said, "It makes me happy to see a lot of couples at Miami who are happy with one another and are willing to commit despite being a part of the pervasive 'hook up culture' that seems to be dominating our age group these days."

At the same time, some would say that if couples know they are meant to be together, why rush things?

"If you can see yourself marrying the person you are with, and therefore plan on spending the rest of your life with them, why not wait a few more years to make sure you are right?" Victoria added.

On the other hand, those of us who aren't in relationships are big supporters for the idea that college is a time to enjoy being independent. During our time at Miami, there are so many opportunities to meet and possibly date new people; we should take advantage of this responsibility-free chapter of our lives. Though some people find comfort in knowing they have someone by their side, people change.

And because we are all just trying to figure things out in college, we may end up going in different directions after graduation. 

When two students graduate from college, there are no guarantees that careers will land them in the same place.

Unless one of them has agreed to hold off on starting a career to follow their significant other, most of us won't be settled in one place until our late 20s.

The editorial board agreed that couples who take their time getting to the altar will benefit more in the long run.

But no matter our relationship status, we all agreed that it takes time for a healthy relationship to evolve, even if marriage isn't on the agenda.

Not only is it a good idea to take things slow on a physical level, it is also beneficial to spend extended amounts of time getting to know your significant other.

For example, living with someone is a ginormous jump. While you may not mind doing your boyfriend's laundry or making your girlfriend breakfast every now and then, living together...every single day...for the rest of your lives, is a lot different. Weird habits can surface, financial problems can arise; lots of things can change once two people live under one roof.

Also, if you haven't heard, divorce rates are high in the U.S., especially among young couples. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, 60 percent of marriages for couples between the ages of 20 and 25 end in divorce. This day and age, the odds are stacked against us. Research shows that couples who wait until they are 30 to get married only face a 12 percent divorce rate.

Getting married to the man/woman of our dreams is something a lot of us look forward to. And if you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with before your 25th, we'd say you got pretty lucky.

But in the end, we still want to encourage younger couples to wait a while to walk down the aisle.