607 sign petition to save Reid

Students, alumni concerned about likely biz school site

By Mandy Shugars, For The Miami Student

Since the announcement of Reid Hall as the possible business school site, many students and alumni have rallied around what they consider to be their first Miami University home. Katie Goodhew, a 2004 Miami graduate and former Reid Hall resident, created the online "Do Not Destroy Reid Hall" petition after reading President James Garland's recommendation last week. "I realized there was no clear choice for the business school," she said. "But I had to try to save it if I could."An online petition was the best way to go, according to Goodhew."I knew I could write President Garland a letter, but I didn't think I could get 50 of my friends to write one," she said. "I thought a petition would be an easy way to get them involved."Goodhew got the word out through a blanket e-mail to friends, the Residence Hall Association, National Residence Hall Honorary and current student leaders at Reid Hall. As of Thursday night, 607 concerned students and alumni have signed the petition - only 50 percent of them actually having lived in Reid. "It's not just bitter Reid Hall residents who don't want to see their dorm torn down - it's students who understand the importance of a first-year hall," Goodhew said.Junior Ellen Petrick, who did not live in Reid, learned about the petition from a friend. "I'm not sure it will actually work, " she said. "But I figured if it's that important to my friend, I should sign it, and I hope it works out."For one former resident, answers were not as clear. Student Body President Bill Forsythe lived in Reid Hall three years ago and said he is torn over the recent decision."It's disappointing to see a place I lived in knocked down - but you have to be concerned with the future of the university and what makes sense," Forsythe said. Emotional attachment outweighed construction for many students."These buildings all have meaning to someone," sophomore Leslie Wanamaker said. "It's weird to watch campus undergo all this construction."Richard Little, senior director of university communications, said that the administration realized they were dealing with a situation that would make some people unhappy."In the end, someone's got to stand there and make a decision based on what's best for the institution," he said.The petition can be viewed at www.petitiononline.com/Reid/petition.html.