By Staff

Drunk male mistakes neighborhood for motel

Around 3:16 a.m. Friday, first-year Kyle Budnick was stumbling around Applewood Circle near Brown Road, knocking on doors, asking for a room, according to OPD.

Dispatched OPD officers spotted a male matching Budnick's description. When approached, Budnick was speaking on his cell phone with his brother. He attempted to hand the phone to the officer, asking her to talk to his brother, with whom he wanted to stay. She quickly discovered that Budnick's brother was actually in Akron, Ohio, according to OPD.

Throughout the exchange, the officer noticed Budnick's slurred speech and a telltale alcoholic odor, according to OPD. He was found to be 18-years-old and was cited with sales to and use by underage persons, according to OPD. He was driven to his dorm.

Females hide in locked bedroom from intruder

Around 2:56 a.m. Saturday, OPD officers were dispatched to Miami Commons in response to an unwanted person refusing to leave a unit's front door, according to OPD.

Senior Nicholas Harwell first sent one of the two female residents of the unit a picture text message from inside her storage shed. Having searched the unlocked shed, he claimed in the message that things were missing, according to OPD.

The same resident received another text from Harwell indicating that he had removed his cap and gown from her car. She had previously purchased them for Harwell, and intended to hold them until she was repaid, according to OPD.

Harwell then approached the unit and kicked in the front door, damaging the doorframe. The girls feared for their lives and locked themselves in a bedroom, as Harwell had previously caused physical harm to the female recipient of his text messages, according to OPD. The victims in the bedroom upon officers' arrival, according to OPD.

An inspection of the victim's car found both her and Harwell's cap and gown missing, according to OPD.

As OPD was unable to tell whether Harwell entered the residence, he was not charged with trespassing, but rather with unauthorized use of a vehicle, vehicle trespass, criminal damaging and theft, according to OPD. He was carted to Butler County Jail, according to OPD.

Drunken sophomore ditches open can, runs

Around 11:25 p.m. Saturday, a marked cruiser was slinking down the 0 block of E. Walnut St. when the officer observed two males walking down the sidewalk, one of whom appeared to be carrying an open beer can, according to OPD.

When the officer exited the car, sophomore Ali Abdalla peeled off around the corner, to later reappear, holding nothing in his hands.

When asked where the can was, Abdalla first said he did not have a can then promptly changed his mind, telling the officer he was carrying a Sprite, according to OPD.

The officer went around the corner to where Abdalla had vanished and found several opened beer cans lying in a lawn. A Sprite can was never located, according to OPD.

Upon returning, the officer noticed an alcoholic perfume wafting from Abdalla, who was wearing two 21-and-up wristbands on one arm. When asked about the wristbands, Abdalla said he had snuck into a bar and stolen them, according to OPD. Later, Abdalla, seemingly having forgotten his admission, tore them off and with a false sense of inconspicuousness, threw them on the ground, according to OPD.

The bands were taken as evidence and Abdalla was cited with offenses involving underage persons, according to OPD.

By Staff