Miami hosts RedHawk Invitational

By Tyler Young

The Miami University men's and women's track teams both return home this weekend to host the RedHawk invitational Saturday. The men are coming off a productive weekend at the Kentucky Relays in Lexington, while the women bring back seven athletes from the Mt. SAC Relay in California.

This is the fifth straight year the RedHawks have hosted the event. The invitational brings in schools such as the University of Cincinnati, University of Kentucky and Ohio University. Last year, both the men and women's team took first place in the event and are hoping for a similar result this year.

The men's team is looking to keep its momentum going from the past two events as the RedHawks approach the end of the season. Two weekends ago, the men's team finished third in the All-Ohio Championships and notched five top-five finishes at the Kentucky Relays last weekend. As the end of the season nears, the race to make NCAA qualifying marks heats up.

"Everyone is trying to make good marks with each opportunity that is given to them," men's head coach Warren Mandrell said.

Much of the RedHawks women's team will return to the track this weekend after much of the team had rest days this past weekend. The women, who also placed third in the All-Ohio Championships, will also seek to build off their recent performances as the season starts winding down. With just two events left before the Mid-American Conference championships, women's head coach Kelly Phillips said the team is starting to focus on two things.

"There are two different focuses," Phillips said. "We have the athletes that go to conference and expect to be in the top three and they're focusing on getting national qualifying times, and then we have the people that are trying to get to the conference meet by making the required mark to get into the meet."

The events for the RedHawk Invitational kick off 10 a.m. Saturday at George Rider Track.