Changed is needed for RedHawks

Simons Says

By Ross Simon

Up the middle for a gain of 3. Incomplete left. Incomplete vertical. Punt. This seems to be the standard play calling for the Miami RedHawks football team over the past few games. Since the spectacular win against the Ohio University Bobcats, the Red and White have quite frankly...tanked. There is no better way to say it than that.

Since that win, Miami has dropped two straight games in very unconvincing fashion. The University at Buffalo Bulls, a team who had not won a game against a Football Bowl Subdivision opponent in well over a calendar year, took care of the 'Hawks on a field goal as time expired.

Miami had one responsibility as it kicked off in a tied game with just 40 some odd seconds left on the clock: prevent a big return from happening. Instead, it gave up a 50-yard return allowing Buffalo to kick the last-second 45 yard field goal to win. That loss essentially knocked Miami out of competition for the MAC East title.

This was followed up by the atrocity that was the game against the Kent State University Golden Flashes. Kent State is a very capable team, taking care of previously undefeated Rutgers in New Jersey, but Miami put up what could nicely be described as a "stinker" of a performance. Miami, within 20 minutes of play, was already down 28 points. It never had a chance to come back.

Miami is quite frankly the definition of "Swiss cheese on defense." The holes on the defensive line, which has been ravaged by injuries, are disgusting to watch as a fan. Miami against Kent State gave up nearly 400 yards...ON THE GROUND!!!! To give up that many TOTAL yards is a failure of a defense, to do so simply through the running game is a failure of play calling and coaching. Ultimately, that responsibility must fall on the shoulders of Head Coach Don Treadwell.

Treadwell came into Miami with a team coming off a MAC Championship, a win in the GoDaddy.com Bowl and a double-digit win season. The spirits in Oxford were high. Former Head Coach Mike Haywood had a great recruiting class in his last season. Treadwell had EVERYTHING going in his favor. The first year, we expected growing pains. We were ok with that. Treadwell's system was obviously quite different than Haywood's. Miami ended up going 4-8. This year does not look to end much better. Miami has a tough schedule left, with Central Michigan University coming up followed by a tough home test against Ball State University, where undoubtedly you'll be able to count the number of fans on your fingers and toes.

Treadwell's mistakes do not just lie in defensive struggles, but in his choice of coaches. Treadwell's main assistant and offensive coordinator who also calls the plays, is John Klacik. Klacik was previously the head coach of Division II Lock Haven University. Lock Haven just last week tallied its first win in 52 games. Klacik, while at Lock Haven, posted a stellar record of 5-60. That's a winning percentage of .0769. Klacik has no business being a Division I coordinator.

Treadwell in his two seasons faces the possiblity of winning just eight games. He has not introduced anything new into the offensive playbook and his defense is, in the lightest terms, atrocious. Special teams have continued to be an issue for well over two years. Treadwell, the highest paid employee of Miami University, has failed. He has not justified his contract or benefits. He has not just failed this team, he has failed us...the fans. Fan support continues to be in the cellar and will not improve until we have a winning program. I am a man willing to give second chances, but Treadwell must make changes. Now.