By Staff

Drunk driver crashes vehicle by railroad tracks

Around 3:26 a.m. Tuesday, OPD officers were dispatched in response to a crash on the South Main Street railroad tracks, where a red Suzuki was stuck in the adjacent ditch, according to OPD. The car's exterior was covered in mud, as was the steering wheel, floorboards, dashboard and driver, Matthew Chatelain, 30 years of age of Wadsworth, Ohio. When the officer asked how he ended up in the ditch, he said, through a thick slur, that he was just trying to go home, according to OPD.

The officer again asked, more specifically, how he maneuvered into the ditch. Chatelain said he was making a turn at the railroad tracks, a turn that does not actually exist. When asked how much he had had to drink, Chatelain, reeking of alcohol, replied "not too much," according to OPD. Chatelain then began walking away from the crash site, casually looked back at the car, and told the officer the vehicle was not his and he did not know how it got there. OPD ran the registration and found the vehicle registered in Chatelain's name, according to OPD. The officer performed a field sobriety test, which Chatelain failed. He was then taken into custody for operating a vehicle without reasonable control, according to OPD. At the station, he consented to a breathalyzer. His recorded BAC was .244, according to OPD. The vehicle was then searched and within officers discovered a fake metal cigarette with marijuana residue on it. Chatelain was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, according to OPD.

Wanted man dispatches officers to own homes

Wednesday afternoon took a turn for the worse for Cye Anderson, 24 years of age of Oxford, Ohio. At 3:44 p.m., Cye Anderson called OPD saying he had been assaulted after interrupting a burglary in progress on West Sycamore, according to OPD. Anderson, who lives with his brother, had left home to drop off his brother's children at school. He reported to OPD upon his return to their shared residence, three unknown males assaulted him, according to OPD.

He claimed the males were trying to abscond with items from the house, but could not indicate what items, according to OPD. Anderson then attested that, after he was assaulted, the three men had fled the house. Upon the officers' arrival, the house was checked and no suspects were found, according to OPD. As officers were taking Anderson's statement, they saw he had two outstanding arrest warrants, one out of Fairfield and one out of Adult Parole. After he completed his statement, he was taken into custody and transported to Butler County Jail, according to OPD.

By Staff