Bands prepare for final 'battle' Thursday

By Claire Krieger
On October 30, 2012

Miami University's chapter of Delta Sigma Pi is currently in the midst of hosting its semi-annual Battle of the Bands competition at Stadium Sports Bar & Grille. The competition features six bands based as close as Oxford and as far as Columbus. The preliminary round of the competition took place over the past two Thursday nights. Three bands were featured per night, each playing for about an hour. The majority of bands playing cover a wide range of eras and genres, and original songs are not unheard of in the competition.

The business fraternity has been putting on this competition once a semester for many years. Delta Sigma Pi continues to organize the competition for the publicity the event offers the organization and because of its popularity with Miami students. The contest is the chapter's biggest fundraiser of the year and all proceeds go to fund the various speakers Delta Sigma Pi brings to Miami and the trips their chapter members take throughout the year.

In previous years, many of the competing bands have been veterans of the competition. However, some of the bands' members have graduated, which opened the door for some new acts. Bands were recruited through word-of-mouth in various campus organizations and through Delta Sigma Pi's members' connections throughout Ohio.

"It's always something I look forward to," senior Jameson Lowery, lead singer of The Caged Cardinal, one of the competing bands, said. "There is always a good crowd. Everybody kind of forgets who their friends are and who they typically hang out with and just has fun watching whoever is playing."

The Caged Cardinal had their preliminary performance Thursday, but they are no strangers to the competition. Other members of the band are Jeremy Kreamer, Brent Bielinski, and JM Rieger, all Miami seniors. Their set included a huge variety of covers, including artists such as Creedence Clearwater Revival, Coldplay and the Black Keys. Despite the collapse of a snare drum after the first song, the band played on and drummer Rieger rolled with the punches.

"We had a little technical difficulty after the first song but we were still able to play the set," said Rieger. "It was a good show and it was great to see a lot of the fans stay until the end of the show."

The Caged Cardinal was the last to perform on the second night of the preliminary round. The night's opening act was the Flaming Red Hands. They are a 5-piece band whose front-woman, Sharon Attaway, is the Director of Professional Development for the Farmer School of Business and an honorary member of Delta Sigma Pi. Attaway was joined by recent Miami graduate Steven Cross for a set that included many popular hits of the 80s and 90s. They paid homage to Peter Gabriel, Madonna, Deep Blue Something and the Cranberries, among others.

The band taking the evening's middle spot in the lineup was another group of Miami students and alumni called Rev:21. They also paid their dues to 90s and early 2000s music through artists like Matchbox Twenty and Third Eye Blind. They also included some more recent covers of Miranda Lambert and Adele songs.

The band that earns the most votes from fans from each night and the third highest from either night will perform in the final round this Thursday. The fan-voted winner of the final round wins a $400 cash prize. The winner from the first night of competition is the Cincinnati-based band The Long Way Home. Two bands from the second night earned spots in the finals. Both Rev:21 and The Caged Cardinal will be battling for a chance to win the money and bragging rights.

Delta Sigma Pi is grateful to have this continued partnership with Stadium and hopes to keep the competition alive for many years to come. Senior Lauren Fedders, the vice president of fundraising for Delta Sigma Pi and the organizer of the Battle of the Bands, encourages Miami students to attend the event finals this week.

"It's an awesome thing to do on a Thursday night," said Fedders. "It's a pretty unique opportunity to get out there and experience live music."

More event information is available on Facebook. The event page can be found through searching "BATTLE OF THE BANDS," and information is also accessible through Stadium's page. The finals will be held 10 p.m. Thursday at Stadium Bar & Grille.