Video | Gas prices hit local two-year high
#HardWeek. Patrick Geyser | The Miami Student
Oxford residents have been feeling the spike in gas prices that has been occurring for approximately one month.
According to Senior Petroleum Analyst of Gasbuddy.com Patrick Dehaan, the anxiety over the unrest in the Middle East can be credited with the steep increase. Oxford Economic Development Director Alan Kyger said residents are going to be skeptical about the change.
"Residents are questioning, ‘Is this the way it's going to be or is it a bump in the road?'," Kyger said. "I think it has to stay above $ 3.00 a gallon, $4.00 a gallon for an extended period of time before people react to it and plan accordingly."
Lecturer Patricia Newberry said she will take the change into account when car shopping in the future.
"There have been rumors that gas could get to $5 a gallon," Newberry said. "That could be a killer for anybody that has to go any amount of distance." However, Deehan said the recent tragedy in Japan will likely result in a decreased demand for oil and possibly a decrease in gas prices.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest