Miami blown out by CMU

By Justin Maskulinski

The Miami University women's basketball team ran into the best team in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), Central Michigan University, and fell 88-47 Saturday.

Saturday's loss was the second game in a row where the RedHawks (8-14, 3-8 MAC) took on a top team in the MAC, and the Chippewas (16-7, 12-0 MAC) were too much for the 'Hawks to handle. One game prior to Saturday's loss, the RedHawks fell to MAC-East leading Bowling Green State University (21-3, 11-1 MAC).

The Chippewas have yet to lose to a MAC team and have not lost a game at home this season. Miami head coach Cleve Wright said the RedHawks had the right state of mind to take on the Chippewas, but were ultimately unable to execute.

"It was definitely a different feel than the Bowling Green game," Wright said. "We probably played about 24 minutes of the game, and the other 16 minutes we weren't very focused. You just can't do that against a really good team like Central Michigan."

The RedHawks stuck with Central Michigan for most of the first half. The 'Hawks were leading the Chippewas 18-17 with 11:54 remaining in the half, and trailed by four with 6:30 remaining.

The Chippewas caught fire toward the end of the half, and took a 37-25 lead into the locker room.

The Chippewas dominated the Red and White in the second half and went on a key 29-4 run that lasted almost seven minutes and allowed Central Michigan to pull ahead 75-39 lead with 7:17 remaining.

"Unfortunately, [Central Michigan] did catch fire in the second half," Wright said. "When they went on their run we didn't respond well. We could not get the ball in the basket."

Central Michigan shot over 60 percent in the second half as it pulled away from the RedHawks.

The Chippewas shot their way to a 41-point victory over the RedHawks. The Chippewas shot 54.2 percent from the field and 53.3 percent from behind the arc in the game. Central Michigan had four players in double digit scoring.

The RedHawks struggled from the field for the second straight game, shooting 31.6 percent from the field and 20.8 percent from behind the arc.

The 'Hawks were led by freshman forward Nicole Anderson as she scored nine points. Also contributing were senior guard Haley Robertson with seven points and senior center Kelsey Simon with seven points and 10 rebounds.

The RedHawks will try to have a short memory as they return to Millett Hall for a 1:30 pm Thursday tipoff against Ball State University (10-13, 5-7 MAC).

"We're at the end of a stretch right now," Simon said. "We have six games left, every game matters at this point. We can't harp on what happened in the past, we have to keep looking forward."

All eyes will be on senior guard Hannah Robertson Thursday afternoon, as she is five points from becoming the 22nd Miami player to reach 1,000 career points.