Oxford and Talawanda team up to make sidewalks safe
Recent snowy weather and negative temperatures have led to dangerous walking conditions. Talawanada School district and the City of Oxford have recently requested a grant to make sidewalks safer for students to walk on to to get to school.
City Manager said travel plans have recently been discussed.
"As far as I know, no projects have been submitted for a grant for the school district, although a travel plan has been promoted," Elliot said.
Although there hasn't been a grant suggested, Oxford's city planner Sam Perry and Town Director Jung-Han Chan will continue to work to improve sidewalks.
"We will continue to work with staff such as Sam Perry and Jung-Han Chan, on making routes to schools safer" explained Elliot.
Elliot said in March there will be changes to improve sidewalks.
"The US 27 South project in March will include improving sidewalks and creating shoulders on both sides of the road which will make it safer to walk to the new high school," Elliot said.
Chan said the travel plan takes a specific look at the number of students inside a quarter, half and one mile radius of the schools.
"This will give us insight as to where we need to add cross-walks where there may not be ones now, or missing side-walks as well," Chan said.
Chan said the overall goal is to make students have a safer walk or bike to and from school.
Miami sophomore Nicole Blachowicz, said she is a frequent runner off campus and sometimes sees children walking home from school
"Some of the sidewalks just are not safe enough for children to be walking and biking on," Blachowicz said.
Blachowicz believes that this could be a major improvement for Talawanda students and their families.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest