Softball splits behind Lipscomb's three homers

By Jordan Rinard

The Miami University softball team had the opportunity to sweep Wright State University Thursday, but fell 5-4 in the first game before snapping its three-game losing streak with a 6-1 victory. Junior outfielder Bree Lipscomb had a tremendous outing as she picked up three home runs in the doubleheader, along with six RBIs. She now leads the team with seven homers and 25 RBIs.

"We played well [in the doubleheader]," Lipscomb said. "We didn't get runners on in the first game, but we got stronger in the second game, minimized our defensive mistakes and got runners on. I came in with runners on and wanted to come in the clutch and hit the ball hard."

Lipscomb started off quick for the RedHawks (10-13) in the first game, as she fired off a two-run shot in the first inning of the opening game. The lead was pushed to 3-0 after the Raiders (3-17) walked a runner home in the third. After Wright State scored a run in the fourth, the lead held until the seventh when WSU reeled off four runs. Following a solo shot by Lipscomb and a walk by junior pitcher Megan Mattera, the 'Hawks did no more as they recorded three consecutive outs.

Lipscomb initiated the scoring in the second game as well with a three-run homer in the first, and senior second baseman Kristy Arbour tacked on another run with a RBI in the following inning. Wright State picked up its lone run in the sixth as the Red and White rounded out the scoring in the bottom of the inning with two runs off a Raider throwing error. Sophomore pitcher Amber Logemann put together a quality start as she pitched a complete game with four hits and seven strikeouts.

"We were disappointed with the first game," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "Our pitchers didn't close the door and we had opportunities to score. Bree stepped up for us. We need more players to step up. We still need to be more consistent. Amber had a good start for us and our defense played well. We need to build off of this momentum. This season's been a roller coaster, but it's good to see us keep fighting. When it all clicks, we can be a dangerous team."

The RedHawks travel to take on Robert Morris University and Siena College Saturday. Robert Morris (14-10) picked up a big win over Villanova University in order to stop a skid in which it lost five of its six previous contests. Siena (6-10) is hoping to stop the bleeding as it has dropped five of its last six games with four of the losses coming by four runs or more.

Miami begins play in the RMU Colonial Classic 1 p.m. Saturday when it faces Siena and wraps up play at 3 p.m. the same day against Robert Morris.