Miami GOP reflects on conservative values, ideas

By Emily Plaver
On May 2, 2014

Last Monday marked the beginning of Miami's College Republicans' Conservative Week. The week was an effort to inform and alert Miami students of conservative policies and involvement opportunities.

Conservative Week events included Small Business Appreciation Day, Voter Rights/Registration Day, a day dedicated to fiscal responsibility and a day celebrating agriculture and farming. Members of College Republicans stood at the Hub and handed out flyers with information about these topics and talked to students about conservative principles.

The College Republicans also hosted a guest speaker Wednesday night in the Armstrong Student Center. This year's speaker was Rick Lowry, editor of the National Review, a magazine designed for conservative news and commentary.

President of the College Republicans Katey Papin said she believes Lowry was the best choice for this year's Conservative Week.

"We felt Lowry would appeal to students from the business school and the journalism school, as well as those who are politically active," she said. "Hosting a speaker like Lowry is important because it will draw an audience of students who have a variety of interests and who otherwise may not have attended an event with a conservative speaker."

College Republicans, Papin said, not only want to inform students about the topics discussed this week but also used this week to invite others to join their organization.

Member of College Republicans Mary Horner said she was looking forward to this week.

"I'm excited to share my values with the rest of the students at Miami," she said. "Conservatives usually get a bad reputation but if people knew what we actually stood for they would realize they have conservative values too."

Representatives of the College Republicans said their organization encourages others to get involved and not be afraid to express their political views.

"Conservative Week is also a time to remind students that it's okay not to be a liberal on a college campus; in fact, there are a lot of us at Miami," Papin said. "In our current society, it's not necessarily cool or trendy to be a conservative."

Another Republican, Jake Eishen, said he also sees Miami as a conservative school.

"To be a conservative is to uphold values that are already in place," he said. "Miami is a widely known conservative college. Even with many of the liberals here, there are still many students that are conservative."

Conservative Week was intended to help students learn more about the conservative platform.

"It's an entire week dedicated to the principles and values that made our nation great," Papin said. "It is a time to celebrate all that the Republican Party has to offer our generation and to encourage others to join the movement."