RedHawks extend streak with win over Kent State

By Justin Maskulinski

Miami University's women's basketball team continued its Mid-American Conference (MAC) win streak on Sunday.

After losing their MAC opener to Ball State University (8-11, 5-1 MAC) the RedHawks (13-6, 5-1 MAC) have won five straight MAC games.

"Ball State was a wakeup call for us," Senior forward Kirsten Olowinski said. "That game helped us realize our potential as a team."

The 'Hawks cruised past Kent State University (2-17, 0-6 MAC) 76-48. The RedHawks stayed hot after taking sole possession of first place after a win at Bowling Green State University (13-6, 4-2 MAC) last Thursday.

"It was a big win," Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa said. "I don't focus on records or streaks; I try to focus on one game at a time."

The 'Hawks were able to defeat Kent State without Junior Hannah Robertson, who averages 10 points per game.

Fantanarosa said that Robertson was out with a knee injury and that there was no timeline for her return.

Freshman forward Hannah McCue got the start for the 'Hawks and scored 10 points.

"Hannah played really offensively," Fantanarosa said. "She is a very smart player."

Olowinski praised McCue's effort.

"[McCue] stepped up when we needed her to," Olowinksi said. "It was nice to see her with confidence in her play as a freshman."

Olowinski tallied 15 points and eight rebounds for the 'Hawks Sunday.

Also in double figures for the 'Hawks were junior guard Haley Robertson (13 points) and freshman guard Maddie McCallie (12 points). Senior Courtney Osborn, who averages just under 17 points per game scored nine points and had six assists for the 'Hawks.

The RedHawks' 28 point win is the largest they have had in the MAC this season. Kent State has dropped its 6 MAC games by an average of 24 points per game.

The leading scorers for Kent State were senior guard Tazmin Barroilhet and sophomore guards Jamie Hutcheson who both scored nine points.

The 'Hawks will return to Millet Hall Thursday for a noon tip off against the University at Buffalo Bulls (6-13, 4-2 MAC).

Despite the Bulls 2-11 start they are 4-2 in conference play.

"Buffalo is playing really well this year," Fantanarosa said. "They had a coaching change that might have been the reason for their slow start."

The Bulls' leading scorers are redshirt junior forward Cherridy Thorton and freshman guard Rachael Gregory, who both average 10 points per game.

The 'Hawks have been focusing on their season one game at a time and that strategy has proven successful for the MAC East leaders.

Buffalo currently sits in third place in the MAC East behind Miami and Bowling Green, and a win against the Bulls would solidify the 'Hawks first place standing.

Olowinski, who averages a double-double with 11 points per game and 10 rebounds per game, said the RedHawks will look at the Buffalo game the same way they have looked at thier games up to this point.

"It's about us, just like every other game," Olowinski said. "It's another chance to prove who we are."