Tech Tip | Important Security Announcement: Two-Factor Authentication coming to Miami
Later this spring Miami will be introducing Two-Factor Authentication (also known as Two-Step Verification or Multi-Factor Authentication), to several important Miami services.
For information about the implementation of Two-Factor Authentication at Miami, including FAQs and a promotional video, please visit MiamiOH.edu/TwoFactor. IT Services will also be hosting an information session as part of the "Office Hours" series on Wednesday, March 12 at 11:30 am in Shriver Center 241.
Two-Factor Authentication is based on the idea that you will use two items (factors) to log into certain Miami services or applications. These two factors are:
- Something you know--your Miami password; and
- Something you have--a single-use verification code.
Two-Factor authentication is not a new concept. For example, every time you use an ATM, your transaction requires you to present a card (something you have) and enter a PIN (something you know).
When you use your Miami UniqueID and password to log in to certain Miami services or applications, you will be prompted to enter a six-digit single-use verification code. Unlike a PIN number for an ATM, the code changes with every login and can be used only one time. This code can be delivered to you through any of the following methods:
- a smartphone authenticator app (Google Authenticator)
- SMS (via text-message or voice)
- a set of printed codes
Miami will begin using Two-Factor in the following situations:
- Submitting midterm and final grades to Banner via BannerWeb or the Niihka Send Grades to Banner option.
- Accessing forms needed for tax purposes (W2, W4, 1098T, 1099, etc.)
- Setting up or changing direct deposit information (viewing information does not require TFA)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?