Opinion | Resume, interview skills need to be taught to all students

By Editorial Board

The College and Arts and Sciences (CAS) will be introducing a new course this upcoming spring semester to give students the opportunity to discover the many diverse directions their degrees can take them.

CAS 301 is a one-credit hour class that will aim to help students recognize how to use the skills they have acquired towards establishing goals and obtaining jobs.

The editorial board of The Miami Student appreciates the fact that the college and Career Services is starting to work more with CAS students. Students in the humanities often feel they leave college with no tangible and useful skills. The skills these students learn are not as clear cut as those learned in majors such as engineering or education. However, these students do learn valuable skills that are imperative in the workplace.

The ideology behind the study of the humanities is that students learn for the sake of learning. And while the pursuit of knowledge is a noble cause, the practical reality is that students must find ways to plan for the future, pay off their loans and establish themselves professionally.

Students need to learn how to build and develop resumes, learn interview skills and go find jobs, whether through the CAS, Career Services or a combination of both.

We feel the Business School does very well preparing students for life after college and this has benefited business students immensely. This CAS 301 class can be an opportunity for students in the College of Arts and Sciences to do the same-prepare for life after graduation while not abandoning the ideological goals of higher education.

We commend the College of Arts and Sciences for implementing this class encourage students to take advantage of this opportunity.