Opinion | Rape flier author given disorderly conduct plea
The Miami rape flier issue concluded with the principal author/offender entering a plea of guilty to disorderly conduct.
His acceptance of responsibility is noteworthy in the face of contentious positions by those favoring or opposing any constitutional limits on the meaning of speech. Anyone advocating murder to silence a witness or victim will always get my attention and by comparison I expect anyone advocating the execution of a federal judge will also get a visit from a federal marshal or U.S. attorney.
There should be no debate that cases involving freedom of expression are determined by facts and circumstances of each individual case.
Authorship of outrageous words alone is usually not enough to remove constitutional protections. The actual intent and context are all important as they were in the consideration of this case.
Fortunately, a forest of trees will not have to be turned into legal briefs to argue the issue to higher courts and no one was incited to cause injury.
Miami University acted responsibly to mete out appropriate discipline, my office and police authorities acted appropriately to consider and fully investigate the circumstances of the publication and the now former student took responsibility for being book smart and socially stupid.
I expect the latter will change, as he has shown through his acceptance of responsibility for his words, that he can change for the better.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?