It's a party: College Dems, Reps share an ASC office

By Jake Zalac

While they may not share political opinions, College Republicans and College Democrats now share an office in the new Armstrong Student Center (ASC).

This is not the first time the organizations have shared an office space - they used to be located in the same room in MacMillan Hall. According to Miami College Republicans Chairman Katey Papin, the close proximity continues to work out well.

"Politically we may not agree, but I know there are executive members from each club that are friends," Papin said.

Charlie Urbancic, Miami College Democrats Outreach Chair, agreed with his officemate.

"There isn't much controversy between the groups, aside from debates," Urbancic said.

The College Republicans' goal is to spread awareness of principles and movements from a republican political standpoint, but the club houses a spectrum of views.

"We have a decent mix of political views in the organization," Papin said. "We have members that are conservative, libertarian, and independent as well."

The Democrats strive to foster a liberal environment through political dialogue, outreach and advocacy.

"We hold weekly meetings, and organize events and programs to spread awareness of democratic ideals, discuss current events and the current political climate," Urbancic said.

Whatever their views may be, the two sides enjoy debating their viewpoints in Political Science Department- sponsored debates.

However heated these forums get, the two sides come together in more than just office space.

"Even though our views conflict politically, we put on a rival blood drive together with the College Democrats every year," Papin said.

This year's blood drive, yet unscheduled, should happen at the end of February, Papin said.

Their views may be far apart, but any interested student can find the College Republicans and College Democrats very close together in their cozy Armstrong office space.

The College Republicans meet 7 p.m. Wednesday in 111 Harrison Hall.

The College Democrats meet 8 p.m. Wednesday in 011 Harrison Hall.