It's a party: College Dems, Reps share an ASC office
While they may not share political opinions, College Republicans and College Democrats now share an office in the new Armstrong Student Center (ASC).
This is not the first time the organizations have shared an office space - they used to be located in the same room in MacMillan Hall. According to Miami College Republicans Chairman Katey Papin, the close proximity continues to work out well.
"Politically we may not agree, but I know there are executive members from each club that are friends," Papin said.
Charlie Urbancic, Miami College Democrats Outreach Chair, agreed with his officemate.
"There isn't much controversy between the groups, aside from debates," Urbancic said.
The College Republicans' goal is to spread awareness of principles and movements from a republican political standpoint, but the club houses a spectrum of views.
"We have a decent mix of political views in the organization," Papin said. "We have members that are conservative, libertarian, and independent as well."
The Democrats strive to foster a liberal environment through political dialogue, outreach and advocacy.
"We hold weekly meetings, and organize events and programs to spread awareness of democratic ideals, discuss current events and the current political climate," Urbancic said.
Whatever their views may be, the two sides enjoy debating their viewpoints in Political Science Department- sponsored debates.
However heated these forums get, the two sides come together in more than just office space.
"Even though our views conflict politically, we put on a rival blood drive together with the College Democrats every year," Papin said.
This year's blood drive, yet unscheduled, should happen at the end of February, Papin said.
Their views may be far apart, but any interested student can find the College Republicans and College Democrats very close together in their cozy Armstrong office space.
The College Republicans meet 7 p.m. Wednesday in 111 Harrison Hall.
The College Democrats meet 8 p.m. Wednesday in 011 Harrison Hall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?