Opinion | Blasi becomes member of the 300 club

Drake's Take

By Carson Drake

History was made once again at Goggin.

Friday, the RedHawks played host to Bowling Green (8-13-5) and came out on top thanks to a pair of second period power-play goals by sophomore Cody Murphy. He tallied his first goal in the first minute of the second period and continued his strong play with another rebound goal eight minutes later.

Murphy also snapped an 11 game long scoring drought in the process and was personally responsible for helping Head Coach Enrico Blasi capture his 300th win in his fourteen year tenure with the program.

Rallying from a one-goal deficit, the RedHawks and Falcons played a tight game throughout. It was a defensive battle from start to finish.

With Saturday's 3-1 win over Bowling Green, the 'Hawks completed the sweep and maintained their consistent dominance over the Falcons.

Miami has not lost to Bowling Green in the past sixteen meetings.

Blasi's career record now stands at 301-190-53.

Already Miami's all-time winningest coach, he has consistently recruited and developed talented players that regularly contribute to the team's winning ways. It's one thing to know how to coach a sport, but it's an entirely different thing to know what players fit in the system and of course, how to attract them to the program.

It appears Blasi possesses both of these attributes, and they have undoubtedly contributed to his success on the 'Hawks bench.

He finds special players during the recruiting process, some of whom slip through the NHL radar.

Take for example sophomore forward Austin Czarnik, who is currently tied for first on the team with 26 points. Or senior defenseman Steve Spinell, who is a proven leader and a sound defensive-minded player.

Considering his tremendous understanding of the game, both as a former RedHawk and a coach, it appears the only direction for this year's team and the program as a whole, is up.

Blasi's résumé is very impressive, there is no denying that.

In a little over a decade, Blasi has effectively found ways to lead the program into the upper echelon of college hockey.

Year in and year out the 'Hawks produce quality seasons, remain near the top of the CCHA, and are always in conversation for the NCAA tournament.

There's a reason why this is the case: it's Blasi and his coaching staff.

Each of his teams plays with intensity and an edge that can't be taught.

While the team's size is average, it is clear that Blasi has instilled a gritty nature in his players. It is noticeable in the battles in the corners, the neutral zone play, and so on.

Some programs attract very skilled players, but it all comes down to how they are coached and whether or not one chooses to "buy into the system." Based on performance alone, Miami hockey players continue to buy into Blasi's system, and that is directly correlated to success on the ice.

The players have clearly bought into "The Brotherhood" mantra that Blasi preaches.

Congratulations Rico, here's to another great season behind the 'Hawks bench.