Professor hopes to mix music and campus life

By Lauren Kiggins

Pianist, professor and chair of the department of music Bruce Murray, will present his new series, "The Piano In-Depth," in four parts throughout the semester.

Murray, who holds degrees from Carnegie Mellon University and Yale University, assumed the position of chair of the department of music this past June. Murray was previously the dean and artistic administrator of the Brevard Music Center and served as director of the school of music for the University of Alabama.

"I want music to be a greater and more visible part of life on the campus and in Oxford," Murray said. "This series is one of the ways I am trying to accomplish that."

Each concert of the series focuses solely on one composer: Bach, Mozart, Chopin and Liszt.

"Most recitals are smorgasbords so I like to play programs that aren't," Murray said. "The audience will take a different view away programs dedicated to one composer because they provide a completely unique experience."

The first concert of the series, which focused on Bach, took place Sunday.

"Those of us that play Bach believe his music is universal," Murray said. "Even though I perform Bach on a piano, instead of the intended harpsichord, it still retains its integrity and power."

Students in the music department are excited for the chance to see their faculty perform.

"I think that being able to see Dr. Murray perform is really special," first-year violinist Erin Bell said. "As department chair, he has a lot to offer the music department, not only as a teacher but as a musician."

The series continues with the works of Mozart 3 p.m. Feb. 24, followed by Chopin 8 p.m. March 18 and ending with works by Liszt 8 p.m. April 15. The remaining concerts will be in Souers Recital Hall in the Center for Performing Arts. All performances in the series are free and open to the public.