New Chinese eatery aims to bring authentic dishes

By Jessica Barga

The plethora of restaurants Miami University students can enjoy will soon grow with the addition of a new Chinese restaurant, tentatively called Yum-Yum, uptown.

"Over the past couple of years, the number of international students, especially from China, has gone up, with around 700 Chinese students studying at Miami University," Qing Tian, co-owner of the new restaurant said.

He said he and his business partner, Jing Tian, wanted to provide a place for international students and local residents alike.

"There are not too many choices in town for authentic Chinese food," Tian said. "We are targeting those students and the locals as well by offering authentic Chinese food that's not easy to get in the Oxford area."

Tian said the menu will be as authentic as possible instead of Americanizing, as is the case with some other local restaurants.

"This will be real Chinese food like we're eating at home back in China," Tian said.

The menu will include items such as Chinese dumplings, noodles and other authentic dishes.

"Sometimes dishes like dumplings can be expensive in this area, but we can provide an affordable price," Tian said.

According to Tian, the restaurant will offer a variety of dishes diners can choose from to eat-in or carry out. Eventually, there will be more of an official menu, but at the beginning, it will be a family meal-style atmosphere, Tian said.

The restaurant will be located in the space previously occupied by Darbar Indian Carry-Out Restaurant.

"The Darbar Indian restaurant closed at the end of March ... so we have one restaurant closing, but another restaurant taking its place," Alan Kyger, Oxford economic development director said. "Because [the building] was a restaurant and is going to be a restaurant, the turnover time should be fairly quick, since it's already set up with everything you would need."

According to Kyger, the restaurant's address will be at 24 Park Place East.

The Oxford Chamber of Commerce is also eager to attract new businesses to the area.

"The Oxford Chamber of Commerce is a professional organization," Carol Dockum, president of the Chamber of Commerce, said. "We are here to help market and promote local businesses and provide a liaison between them and the economic development director for the city, and make it easy for them to open and operate here in Oxford. We're really excited about [the new businesses] coming into Oxford. The Chamber of Commerce started as a new chamber this year, implementing marketing to grow membership and attract businesses, and to help businesses with operations. We're also highlighting social media as a way to help promote businesses."

With the recent additions to uptown, Dockum said, "The Chamber is really excited ... to promote Oxford as a destination location, and as a place to work and live."

First-year Trenae Johnson said a new Chinese restaurant will be a good addition to the choices uptown.

"I think it'll be a good restaurant to have if it's authentic because a lot of restaurants that say they're international really aren't, and so it will be a good thing to have here [in Oxford]," Johnson said.