Redhawk player, coaches represent at Super Bowl XLVIII

By Tom Downey

Miami University had three former athletes coaching or playing in Super Bowl XLVIII, but only one added the Lombardi Trophy to his résumé.

The Seattle Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos 43-8 in one of the more lopsided Super Bowls in NFL history, giving former Miami quarterback Sherman Smith bragging rights over former Miami quarterback Zac Dysert and former Miami baseball player Mark Thewes.

Smith is the running backs coach for Seattle, while Dysert is the third quarterback for Denver and Thewes is an assistant to Broncos head coach John Fox.

Smith played at Miami from 1972-75 and ranks 12th all-time in rushing yards as RedHawk. He was the school's first black quarterback.

He was drafted in the second round as a running back by the Seahawks in 1976 and played until the 1983 season. Smith was the running back's coach at Miami in 1990, before later serving as the running back's coach with the Houston Oilers/Houston Titans/Tennessee Titans for over 10 years. He was also the offensive coordinator for the Redskins for one season, before returning as Seattle's running back's coach for the past four years.

Dysert was a seventh round pick in the most recent NFL draft by the Broncos. He did not play in a regular season game this season, serving as the third-stringer behind Peyton Manning and Brock OsweilerDysert set multiple school records at Miami, and is the all-time passing leader.

Thewes was shortstop for the RedHawks from 1996-99. Thewes has been with Denver since 2009, serving as an assistant to former Denver coach Josh McDaniels.