'Hawks fall to Broncos, end season

By Justin Maskulinski

The Miami University women's basketball team ended its season Monday night as it fell in the first round of the Mid-American Conference to Western Michigan University, 82-72.

The Broncos (13-17, 9-10 MAC) proved to be too much for the 'Hawks (8-22, 4-15 MAC) to handle, as a short first half run coupled with superior rebounding sent the Red and White packing.

Miami trailed Western Michigan 14-13 with 11:52 remaining in the half, but the Broncos took charge of the game thanks to a 7-0 run that covered 2:20 and gave the Broncos a 21-13 lead.

The Broncos were ahead 44-29 at halftime and did not surrender their lead in the second half.

The 'Hawks trailed 63-43 with less than eight minutes remaining in the game. The 'Hawks pulled to within seven points of the Broncos, as they trailed 68-61 with 3:30 remaining, but they were unable to finish the comeback.

"They really played hard," head coach Cleve Wright said. "They played with a sense of urgency, especially in the second half. [Western Michigan] did a good job of holding us off."

With 27.4 seconds remaining the RedHawks trailed 80-67 and Wright took the remaining seniors out of the game. Senior guard Hannah Robertson was one of them. She described what was going through her mind as she walked off of the court for the last time for the 'Hawks.

"All of the good memories that I've had," Robertson said. "All of the support that I've gotten from my family, teammates and coaches throughout the years. Basketball has meant everything to me and it was the last time I was going to be walking off of the basketball court."

The 'Hawks were led by freshman forward Nicole Anderson, who scored a career high 18 points and added six rebounds.

Robertson scored 15 points in the loss. She ended her career at 1,099 career points, the 18th most in school history.

Senior center Kelsey Simon finished her last game with 11 points and six rebounds. Five of her rebounds were on the offensive glass.

The RedHawks shot above average from the field Monday, making 29-69 attempts for a 42 percent field goal percentage.

Miami was shooting over 70 percent from the free throw line going into the game, made 7-15 attempts from the charity stripe for a 46.7 percent free throw percentage.

The Red and White had 23 personal fouls in the game, compared to Western Michigan's 14.

The 'Hawks were outrebounded 42-33.

The 'Hawks are graduating five seniors: Robertson, Simon, guard Haley Robertson, forward Erica Almady and redshirt senior forward Kristin Judson.

Wright said the seniors were put in a difficult position, in what he described as a "challenging" first year of coaching.

"I think it was tough on them," Wright said. "I think it was tough for the seniors to have a change in their final year. I think they did what they could to understand [the situation] and I think they're great kids and great people. I'm sad to see them go but that's a part of basketball."

Robertson summed up her time at Miami with one word: relationships.

"The relationships that I've been able to build mean more than any game that I've won, or any points we scored," Robertson said.