Women's team looks to continue winning streak

By Jordan Rinard

The Miami University men's and women's swimming and diving teams continue preparing for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championships in March as they host Eastern Michigan University this weekend. The men's team (4-2, 0-1 MAC) is coming off a loss against the University at Buffalo while the women's team (7-1, 4-0) is riding a seven-meet winning streak.

The women's team for the Eagles (8-3, 4-1 MAC) is on a five-meet run following a victory over Ball State. Junior Monica Dorszewski claimed victories in the 100 and 200-breaststroke in that meet with times of 1:03.90 and 2:18.46, respectively.

"Eastern Michigan has been really good this year," women's head coach Mark Davis said. "They'll be a challenge for us... In this phase of the season, we are going to go faster and taper off to get ready for the conference meets. The theme of the season for us has been somebody different stepping up for us in a meet. It's also great to be home after being on the road. We're working on race speed this week, and we're emphasizing perfect practice, focusing on the little details."

In their previous meet against Buffalo, senior Nikki Craft picked up wins in the one-meter and three-meter dives, junior Katie Bootsma earned a victory in the 200-backstroke, freshman Kathleen Dodson placed first in the 200-butterfly and freshman Stephanie LeMire took first place in the 200-breaststroke.

"We're working on our speed this week," freshman Stephanie Pearce said. "Going fast is fun and exciting for us. It's getting us ready to go this weekend with the change of pace. This weekend, we're hoping to have good races and times and work as a team and have energy and fun."

Eastern Michigan's men's squad (6-1, 2-0 MAC) is on a six-meet winning streak with its most recent win coming over Ball State University. In that meet, the Eagles had a 1-2-3 sweep in four different events. Eagles sophomore Andrew Henry was named MAC Swimmer of the Week after winning all of his events against the Cardinals and Wayne State University.

The RedHawks host the Eagles 1 p.m. Saturday in the Nixon Aquatic Center.