Knights in Shining Armor ride to town weekend

By Molly Leasure

What started as a way to impress the ladies has turned into Oxford's newest, and perhaps most distinctive, form of transportation. Thanks to an investment from the Miami University Student Venture Fund (MUSVF), two sophomore roommates have started Knights In Shinning Armor (KISA), an Oxford pedi-cab service designed to transport students all around town.

The new business just successfully completed its first trial run this past weekend. And, according to the co-founders, they have already pedaled in a few hundred bucks.

"We have already seen it will be a success, it can work here," Co-founder and Miami junior Rick Snyder said.

This past May, Snyder and Pastiva were approved for funding as part of MUSVF's growing efforts to fund locally-started student businesses and grow the fund's presence in Oxford.

The buggy-esque pedi-cabs certainly turned heads this weekend, with students taking pictures and snapchats of them and asking for rides all around Uptown just for the thrill of it.

"We even took moms and daughters from Sushi Nara to Decibel as moms were taking selfies," Snyder said.

The initial concept was originally framed around giving chivalrous rides to ladies heading home from the bars late at night, Snyder explained.

"Knights that take you home, I joke they can even do the princess Diana Wave," Snyder said.

The pedi-cabs can also be used for dates, according to Snyder.

"We can even come pick someone up with flowers, and one pedi-cab even plays music," Snyder said.

Snyder and his roommate, Miami junior Tony Pastiva came up with the idea last year after Snyder, a Westport, Conn., native, rode a pedi-cab in New York City. But this isn't Snyder's first rodeo. He has spent his past few summers operating a successful ice cream truck in his hometown.

Miami junior Abby Purdum expressed her interest when seeing the pedi-cab uptown.

"I would definitely use it, it would be a great way to end the night and I would feel much safer taking that then getting in a cab by myself," Purdum said.

"Right now the only option is a taxi Uptown and the pedi-cab is a unique experience for people," MUSVF president and Miami senior