Miami student Andy Supronas dies

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012 23:12

Miami University student Andy Supronas, 21, has died. Supronas was a software engineering major and a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Oxford Police Department (OPD) Sgt. Jon Varley said the death appears to be unintentional. Supronas’ parents, who live in Mason, Ohio, have been notified of his death.

OPD was called Monday morning and asked to do a welfare check on Supronas, as he had not been heard from in several days, according to Varley. Police performing the welfare check found Supranos to be deceased, according to Varley.

Supronas’ body is with the Butler County coroner who will release a report determining cause of death, according to Varley. Phi Delta Theta President junior Cameron Radis offered condolences on behalf of the fraternity. “The brothers of the Ohio Alpha chapter of Phi Delta Theta, are deeply saddened by the loss of our brother, Andy Supronas,” Radis said. “In April 2010, Andy became an initiated member of the chapter and he served on the executive board. Upon hearing of this tragic event, the brothers of Phi Delta Theta would like to extend our condolences to his family and those close to him.”

Student Body President John Stefanski offered his condolences as well. “Not only the Greek community but the whole Miami community, we should come together and support those people who are affected by his untimely passing and realize that at the end of the day that we are all Miamians,”

Stefanski said. Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Susan Mosley-Howard wrote the following to the Miami community: “It is with deep sadness that I share with the Miami community the news of the recent death of Miami student Ainis (Andy) Supronas. Andy, from Mason, began his Miami experience in fall 2009 as a software engineering major. The entire Supronas family has received our heartfelt condolence. Anyone at Miami who feels a need for support should call the office of the dean of students at 529-1877.”