Miami community attends service, remembers Wulf

News Editor

Published: Friday, November 22, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 22, 2013 02:11

Ashton Spann, a sophomore Resident Assistant from Swing Hall called Miami University Police Department (MUPD) at 8:39 a.m. Sunday morning, reporting a non-responsive female on the first floor, according to the recording of the 911 call.

“Last night, she had a lot to drink ... ” Spann said before the dispatch cut her off, asking for the girl’s room number.

“Room 122,” Spann said.

The dispatch sent the Oxford Life Squad to the scene where they transported sophomore Jaclyn Wulf to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital, where she was declared dead at 9:42 a.m.

The Butler County Coroner’s office performed an autopsy Tuesday morning but has yet to declare a cause of death. Director of University News and Communications Claire Wagner said authorities do not suspect foul play.

Wulf, 19, was from Westlake, Ohio, one of the four children of Clark and Amy Wulf.

“Jaclyn was such a beautiful person and took such pride in being a Redhawk,” Jaclyn’s brother, Tyler Wulf said in a letter to Miami University.

Wulf was a psychology major and a member of Alpha Xi Delta women’s fraternity.

“She was a beautiful, awesome woman,” President of Alpha Xi Delta Caitlin Lavon said. “I’m extremely proud to call her my sister. Her death was so sudden. We’re all just happy she was able to be a part of our lives.”

Approximately 100 students and community members attended the serviced dedicated to Wulf 9 p.m. Wednesday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. In the homily, the priest encouraged those in attendance to come together in telling Wulf’s story.

“It’s only the community as a whole that can tell Jaclyn’s whole story,” the priest said. “Tell your stories to each other and give others a chance to give thanks for Jaclyn.”

There has been a memorial fund started in Wulf’s name for the Suicide Prevention Education Alliance (S.P.E.A). Donations can be sent to the Jaclyn Wulf Memorial Fund C/O S.P.E.A of North East Ohio, 29425 Chagrin Blvd., suite 203, Cleveland 44122.

Her funeral service will take place 11 a.m. Nov. 22 in Messiah Lutheran Church in Fairview Park, Ohio.

Wulf’s death marks the fifth Miami student passing in the last 12 months.

Additional reporting by Reis Thebault, Katie Taylor