Fraternity revamps ‘Miss Miami’ competition

Campus Editor

Published: Monday, January 24, 2011

Updated: Monday, January 24, 2011 23:01

Miami University finalists from the 1971 ‘Miss Miami’ competition smile for the camera. This year, t

PHOTO COURTESY OF MIAMI UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

Miami University finalists from the 1971 ‘Miss Miami’ competition smile for the camera. This year, the competition will be sponsored by Delta Tau Delta.

Miami University women hoping to win the hearts of the Delta Tau Delta men will pack Hall Auditorium at 7 p.m. Feb. 15.

The fraternity will bring back an old university tradition in Miss Miami.

The competition, which took place several decades ago at Miami, will once again invite female students around the university to participate in a talent and personality contest.

This will be the first time Delta Tau Delta (the Delts) hosts the competition at Miami, according to philanthropy chair Sam Ellis.

The event will be modeled after several other Delt chapters that hold "Miss Delt" competitions, Ellis said. Ellis also said the chapter consulted the founders of the competition's male counterpart, Alpha Phi's King of Hearts.

Ellis said the event will have three rounds.

"First, it's a funny, dance runway walk in a costume of some sort," Ellis said. "Then, there will be a talent round, and then the question and answer round. It's very similar to the King of Hearts."

The chapter opened up Miss Miami to all female club sports and sororities. Eventually, Ellis said he hopes the competition will attract women outside of these activities to participate.

"It's sort of a trial run, so we didn't want to open it up to too many people," Ellis said. "It's the first time, so we're just hoping to at least get the Greek system involved and slowly branch out there from there."

The chapter hopes to choose a creative woman to serve as Miss Miami.

"The overall idea of the competition is looking for creativity," Ellis said. "It's more about personality characteristics and reasons that she is someone to emulate than a beauty pageant."

The Delts are still working on how to perfect the judging process, but Ellis said some alumni will serve as judges.

Contestants hoping to dazzle both the crowd and the Delts will work the runway for a good cause, Ellis said.

Proceeds from the event will sponsor Adopt-A-School, the chapter's philanthropy. Adopt-A-School is an organization that matches school children to a tutor.

Ellis hopes the new philanthropy will leave a mark on Miami's campus.

"When I became the philanthropy chair, my goal was to change our events around and host what would also have some longevity and last for a long time," Ellis said.