Fall 2013 applications break admissions records, again

Campus Editor

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 4, 2013 22:02

Miami University has received a record-breaking number of applications for fall 2013. According to collected data, the university has increased its pool of applicants by 10 percent, though the final numbers have yet to come it.

According to Director of Admission Ann Larson, the morning report she received Feb. 1, this year’s application deadline, put Miami at 21,354 applicants. The numbers reveal an increasing trend when compared to last year’s also record-breaking number of 20,314 applicants for the fall 2012 semester, Larson said.

Larson said the recently revamped campus tours are likely responsible for part of this increase.

“The visits to campus are way up, that’s a positive,” Larson said. “We’ve actually enhanced our on-campus visit programming; the visit to campus is so critical.”

According to Larson, the number of student visits jumped approximately nine percent with the application increase.

Larson said Miami’s notoriety has been increasing across the country, which has also contributed to the record-breaking number of applications.

“I think that national publicity, it really recognizes the strengths of the university, [which] absolutely attracts interest,” Larson said. “Last year we had applicants from all 50 states for fall 2012, this year we’re only missing Utah.”

Sophomore Meghan Joyce said she’s not surprised Miami’s popularity has increased considering the positive experience she has had as a student so far.

“Miami’s public relations is probably doing an excellent job, so it’s becoming more popular,” Joyce said. “Most of the students seem to be happy here, I know I’m happy here.”

In addition to Miami’s reputation, Larson said the unique experience the university provides students will continue to draw in a large number of applicants.

“We’re excited that Miami’s still on the radar,” Larson said. “It’s an incredible undergraduate experience we believe, and we believe the students support that.”