Oxford’s first modern wine bar coming next fall

Staff Writer

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 23:02

Cru Wine Bar and Shop, 105 E. Spring St., will establish another first for Oxford with a venue dedicated to selling wine instead of liquor or beer. The shop is projected to be constructed during the summer and will be open during the fall for the beginning of the school year, according to Scott Webb, the architect of the new bar.

Webb said on his website that the bar will feature wine, music and food in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.

Webb, who designed the adjacent restaurant, Patterson’s Café, and several other residential and commercial buildings in Oxford, has blueprints of a modern, sophisticated bar. Shelves of wine bottles line the walls that surround wood tables, parson’s chairs and a baby-grand piano.

It was more important to create the ambience of a comfortable and contemporary wine bar than to change the design to fit the mold of a college town bar, Webb said.

A positive about the space is its high ceilings that create an open look. Webb said he wants to add ladders to create a larger area to store the wine.

Miami director of the Institute for Entrepreneurship Brett R. Smith said though the new wine bar will meet a segment of the population that love wine, it will be interesting to see how the new bar balances its appeal towards both older residents of Oxford and college students.

“It’s difficult for Oxford businesses, after finding a way to solve the problem and serve a need of the population, to become too general and not appeal to the one particular market segment that wants their business,” Smith said.

Miami senior Katie Lindauer takes a botany course in viticulture and enology. She has participated in wine tastings with the class and would like to test her knowledge at the new wine bar.

“I’ve learned from doing wine tastings in this class that a really good way to taste all the subtleties of the wine is to try different wines at once, so having a bar would be great for people who want to find the wines they like,” Lindauer said.

Lindauer learned about the growing market for wine bars among college-aged students in Miami professor John Keegan’s lecture.

“Right now, Americans in our age group are loving wine the most they ever have in history,” Lindauer said. “They are drinking wine at the same rates as sixty and seventy-year-olds, which is an unheard of trend.”