Oxford residents rewarded for rescuing man in park

Published: Friday, November 22, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 22, 2013 01:11

At the City Council meeting Nov. 18, Mayor Keebler gave a certificate of recognition to Oxford citizens Kayla Ponder and Dee Fisher.

Director of Oxford Parks and Recreation Gail Brahier recognized the two individuals for their efforts that saved a life at the Oxford Park in September.

“I’m pleased to honor and recognize Dee Fisher and Kayla Ponder,” Brahier said. “When an Incident at the Oxford Community Park took place where a volunteer working collapsed, Fisher and Ponder rendered assistance and started CPR on the individual.”

When they saw the volunteer collapse, Ponder and Fisher were able to help the man stay alive using CPR followed by an AED until medical assistance arrived. Their efforts ultimately saved the volunteers life, Brahier said. Had they not taken action, the man could have died.

“Studies have proven cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) significantly impact the outcomes of individuals,” Keebler said.

Last April, a grant was put into place that allowed the Oxford Community Park to invest in AEDs and put them in the park. One such AED was at the park and was used in Ponder and Fisher’s effort to give assistance to the victim.

Brahier presented Dee Fisher and Kayla Ponder with a gift consisting of a glass cube inscribed “as one we can do little, together we can do so much more,” as a small thank you for their life-saving efforts.

“I personally would like to see Oxford make the small investment and put AEDs in every building in town,” Keebler said.

According to him, it is a small but important measure in which to invest.

Miami University sophomore Allison Van Horn said having AEDs in every building would make the town a lot safer and prevent incidents from becoming fatal.

“I think that every building in Oxford should have an AED, I think that is a little silly that we do not already have that luxury,” Van Horn said.