New year brings changes to Uptown businesses

Community Editor

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013 23:01

Uptown Oxford is constantly changing, and 2013 will be no different.

According to Alan Kyger, Oxford economic development director, ThanksGiving Dinner 365 Days a Year (TGD), 19; W. High St., closed Dec. 31. The location is in the middle of being re-leased, Kyger said, and the plans are looking toward an oriental tea and coffee store.

Lucky Eddie’s Lost Planet Tattoo store, 5 S. Beech St., closed down after the owner passed away, Kyger said. Another tattoo parlor, Panama Red Tattoo Shop, 20 W. Park Place, closed halfway through last semester and now its space is available.

Ted Woods, owner of The Woods, 17 N. Poplar St., is in the process of expanding the bar and, according to Kyger, students and community members can expect to see it open in the spring.

Last semester the Oxford community saw The Princess Theater, 10 N. Beech St., close its doors. The future of the theater and the building is still undecided, Kyger said.

“I would expect to see it change hands sometime in the near future and we’ll see what happens next,” Kyger said.

The old Oxford Press building, 15 S. Beech St., is being torn down this week and it will be a mixed-use development, according to Kyger.

According to Kyger, Fuji Express, 5 W. High St., will open shortly, but the specific date is still undetermined.

“I mean they are still working on it,” he said. “Last I knew they were in the midst of installing an exhaust hood.”

Paisley on High, 32 E. High St., opened Jan. 7, Kyger said. Formerly the Ball of Oxford in Stewart Square, the store moved locations and changed its name to reflect it’s new image.

“She (the owner) used to be more of a florist,” Kyger said. “Now they’re going to do gifts and flowers.” Taco Bell, 36 Lynn Ave., underwent renovations beginning in the middle of October and finished at the end of December, according to Kyger. The Taco Bell chain changed its look to appear more modern and the Oxford location was conforming to that new look. Taco Bell also had to go to the board of zoning appeals to allow the restaurant to have a menu sign out front in addition to the main sign on the front lawn, Kyger said.

The Oxford Coffee Shop, a gourmet coffee shop located at 21 Lynn Ave., opened in the middle of December, Kyger said.

“It’s a retired Miami professor and he’s really into roasting beans and he has a bean roasting machine in there,” Kyger said. “He can roast them however you want them. You pick the bean and he’ll roast it to the darkness you like.”