Last call for StadiUm Bar

Community Editor

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013 22:01

Rumors have been swirling around Oxford about StadiUm Sports Bar & Grille since its closing a few days ago.

According to StadiUm manager Mo Nelson, the building closed Monday.

“The only thing I’m comfortable saying is there was a dispute between the property owner and the bar owner,” he said. “Until they get it worked out this is where we sit.”

He said whether or not StadiUm will be gone permanently is still undetermined.

According to Alan Kyger, Oxford economic development director, the building StadiUm Sports Bar & Grille has been on the market for the last month and a half, but he said there needs to be a distinction between selling the building and shutting down the business.

“Sometimes you have to separate the building from the business,” he said. “In this case the building was just sold but I don’t know exactly why the business closed.”

Some students have expressed unhappiness about the bar closing, but remain optimistic.

“I mean it’s kind of sad because it was really popular during our first few years here and I have a lot of great memories there,” senior Krista Dunkman said. “But at the same time there’s are a lot of great places to go in Oxford and there’s a reason people started calling it ‘Shadium’ in the past few years.”

Other students said they do not go to StadiUm often, so the bar closing does not have much of an impact on them.

“I don’t really care,” first-year Laura Adkins said. “I think I’ve been there once but it wasn’t that big a deal for me.”

Junior Allison Hall said she also does not care much that StadiUm is closing.

“I personally don’t go up there so it doesn’t matter for me,” she said. “But I’m sure people who do go Uptown do care about it.”

Junior Drew McCormick said he thinks StadiUm shutting down is a loss to Oxford.

“I know Stadium is a pretty well-known bar in Oxford so it kind of takes away from the tradition I guess, which I don’t really like to see,” he said. “The one time I went there I kind of enjoyed it…based on social networks I feel like people are not a fan of the fact StadiUm is closing.”