La Comida Burritos replaces FYI with Mexican flavor

Published: Friday, February 1, 2013

Updated: Friday, February 1, 2013 01:02

food

Valerie Westin | The Miami Student

Mario Brown, a staff member of La Comida Burritos, makes a chicken burrito for a customer.

La Comida Burritos, 26 W. High St., is the new quick-serve and delivery restaurant Uptown that took the place of the closed frozen yogurt shop, FYI Yogurt.

The restaurant opened at the beginning of the spring semester. Owner Justin Elgie already launched the La Comida Burritos website with the full menu and online order form. La Comida Burritos sells and delivers burritos for $5.

La Comida Burritos offers pre-designed steak, chicken and pork burritos with various toppings. Another option is the Build-Your-Own Burrito, which allows customers to choose the tortilla, meat, toppings and even the cooking temperature of their burritos. Side items on the menu include chips, guacamole and salsa.

Elgie also owns the Quiznos, 32 W. High St., where customers can use coupon cards that apply to both restaurants.

Even with similar products, Elgie said he is not nervous about the competition with Chipotle.

“If Chipotle can sell burritos, then we’re going to try too,” Elgie said. “If they can do it, we can at least give it an effort.”

Alan Kyger, Oxford economic development director, said the key to success for an Uptown business is having a quality product and a product that the market wants.

The current retail market in Oxford is strong, causing business space to be snatched up quickly after a business closes, Kyger said.

“If you wanted to locate a business in Oxford, there are very few existing buildings for you to go into,” Kyger said.

One of the goals of Oxford economic development is to encourage the increase in small, locally-owned businesses instead of large, commercially-owned chains.

“There is a desire to not see Uptown become one big exit off of an interstate, where you could be any place and you couldn’t tell the difference,” Kyger said.

Kyger said local ownership is a big plus for success in Oxford as the owner directly participates in selling the product and attracting customers.

This is certainly the case for La Comida Burritos. Elgie’s travel experiences in the U.S. and over the border influenced his choices for the menu and ingredients.

Elgie spent years in various parts of central Mexico and Texas and hopes to bring the authenticity of Mexican food to his Oxford burritos, he said in fluent Spanish.

La Comida Burritos is hoping for a small cult following that loves burritos.“We’re not looking to take over the town,” Elgie said. “We’re geared towards customers that love well-priced food with fresh ingredients.”

Junior Amanda Beckman, a Spanish speaker and burrito lover, said La Comida Burritos definitely appeals to her.

“There are many Hispanic-specialty restaurants Uptown, but I would want to go there because they deliver,” Beckman said.

You can check out the menu and order a burrito at www.lacomidaburritos.com.