Yearbook wins award for college journalism

Campus Editor

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012 22:11

Miami University’s yearbook, The Recensio, won its first Pacemaker award for its 2011 edition after previously being nominated five times.

The Pacemaker is awarded to top pieces of journalism by college media organizations by Associated Collegiate Press, according to Recensio Editorial Adviser Sacha Bellman.

The 2011 Recensio was put together under co-editors-in-chief Miami alumni Brianna Mulligan and Ryan Amos. Mulligan said she and Amos began planning the 2011 yearbook as far back as 2009 when they were only sophomores.

“This was kind of our master production we had a lot of really high hopes for it,” Mulligan said. “We put a lot of heart and soul into the creation of the theme, making sure we captured the tone of the student body of Miami.”

The 2011 yearbook covered student life, Greek life, academics, athletics, news, and student organizations throughout the fall, winter and spring.

The yearbook was united by the theme “forever young,” which comes from the Bob Dylan song of the same title, according to Bellman and Mulligan.

Each section of the book beings with the phrase “May you always be…,” which parallels the lyrics of the song, according to Bellman.

Mulligan said she and Amos incorporated this theme into the articles in the yearbook.

“A lot of our articles focused on making sure people remembered their experiences at Miami,” Mulligan said.

Bellman was hopeful that the 2011 yearbook would win the Pacemaker.

“I knew as soon as I saw it that this was really something special,” Bellman said.

Bellman said Mulligan’s and Amos’s dedication paid off.

“I really had a lot of confidence and obviously the product showed that they had planned it out well and they executed it beautifully,” she said.

Bellman said she hopes The Recensio’s reception of the Pacemaker award encourages students to purchase a yearbook.

The number of yearbooks The Recensio has sold has gradually dropped over the years, Walker said, with The Recensio selling less than 300 in 2012.

“I think last year was kind of our eye-opener,” she said.

Walker said the lack of sales is the result of students not being aware that Miami has a yearbook.

“When people hear the word ‘Recensio’ they don’t automatically put it to Miami University yearbook,” Walker said.

Bellman said she encourages students to get a yearbook because they will want one 10-15 years down the road.

“It’s a wonderful piece of history to have on your bookshelf,” Bellman said. “It’s just really hard to get students now to realize that they want it.”

Seniors can contribute senior portraits to The Recensio and order them at recensioyearbook.wordpress.com. The book is published in the fall following graduation.

Walker said The Recensio winning Pacemaker award is a motivator for her to continue the quality of the book’s past.

“You’re living up to such a big name now, having this national title,” Walker said. “It’s great obviously but it’s also kind of nerve-wracking because you want to be able to live up to that as well.”