Student email addresses to change over break

Campus Editor

Published: Friday, November 30, 2012

Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012 00:11

Miami University students will receive new email addresses sometime between Dec. 31 and Jan. 4. During that time student email addresses will switch from uniqueid@muohio.edu to uniqueid@miamiOH.edu, however, students will still receive email sent to their muohio.edu address until at least June 2014, according to Randy Hollowell, senior communication and web coordinator for Information Technology (IT) Services.

“So if someone sends a message to uniqueida@muohio.edu you’ll still get it, you just can’t send anything out with that address,” Hollowell said.

Once the switch occurs students will need to access their email accounts through the email link on the MyMiami portal as opposed to logging into their account through Gmail.

While the switch should be relatively seamless for most students, according to Hollowell, there are several situations of which students should be aware.

Students will need to update their email on their mobile devices to still be able to receive email from their Miami account, according to Hollowell. Instructions for how to do this can be found on Miami’s GoGoogle site.

Students will still be able to access to their core Google apps such as Google calendar and Google drive after the email switch, however they will need to update their non-core Google apps such as Picasa, Google Analytics and Youtube accounts after they receive their new email address. These accounts will need to be updated before spring break, according to Hollowell. Instructions on how to update these accounts can also be found on Miami’s GoGoogle site.

Hollowell also said students should update their email addresses on any non-Miami listservs they subscribe to once the switch is made, as well as updating their email addresses on their various accounts such as iTunes and Amazon over time.