Payroll services delivers the dough 3 days earlier

Published: Monday, November 5, 2012

Updated: Monday, November 5, 2012 23:11

Due to a team within the human resources department, students employed by Miami University will now be paid three days earlier than they were previously.

According to Anne Wheeler, manager of payroll services, the initiative began last March with the goal of reducing the time it took to process student payroll.

The result was that students now get paid on alternating Tuesdays instead of Fridays, a 21 percent reduction in processing time. The team examined the payroll process from beginning to end then implemented the improvements they were able to identify.

With over 4,000 students employed by the university, many of whom hold multiple jobs, processing student payroll was especially time-consuming. The payday change applies only to student employees, rather than all faculty and staff, in an effort improve this situation. Wheeler said the change was also a matter of convenience.

“Now when students are graduating or relocating at the end of the semester they can be sure to get their paycheck before they leave,” Wheeler said. “This should be especially helpful for international students.”

Student employees received an email alerting them about the new Tuesday payday and continue to receive email reminders the day before each payday to help them adjust to the change.

Wheeler said student feedback has been positive.

“Only one student expressed concern that their money would be gone by the weekend,” she said.

Juniors John Frahm, a student employee in the print center, and Anna Wilson, who works at Dividends, said they are pleased with the change in payday.

“Getting paid on Fridays can be a hassle if you have any problems with your paycheck or with setting up direct deposit,” Wilson said. “By getting paid on Tuesdays we can resolve those kinds of problems before the weekend.”

“Personally, I think getting paid on Tuesday is more convenient,” Frahm said. “I’m less likely to spend my paycheck during the week compared to over the weekend.”