Miami University Board of Trustees expected to approve new department of biology

Campus Editor

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Updated: Thursday, December 6, 2012 21:12

The Miami University Board of Trustees meets Friday morning to hear various reports and vote on several resolutions.

Based on the meeting agenda, there is not expected to be major activity during the meeting, according to Claire Wagner, associate director of university communications.

“The most important thing…is that [the board is] expected to approve consolidating botany and zoology to make a new department: biology,” Wagner said.

The board will also vote on a $300 per-semester fee for first-year students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), which would go into effect next fall, Wagner said. Similarly to the fee required for classes within the Farmer School of Business, the fee would cover the resources necessary for classes in the SEAS.

“Lots of equipment, computers and otherwise, [are] pretty costly to keep up to date,” Wagner said.

The board will also vote on the authorization of funds to renovate Anderson and McFarland residence halls, Wagner said. If the funding is approved, the buildings would go offline in May, as Bishop Hall, MapleStreet Station and Etheridge Hall would be completed in the summer and ready for students.