League of Women Voters sees uptick in registrations

Campus Editor

Published: Friday, August 31, 2012

Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012 01:08

Voter

Allison McGillivray | The Miami Student

League of Women Voters members Prue Dana and Jo McQueen register students to vote Monday, August 27.

A little rain did not dampen the spirits of The League of Women Voters (LWV) of Oxford, who registered Miami University students to vote Monday, Aug. 27. The registration event was scheduled to be held on the front patio of Shriver Center but was moved to MacMillan Hall to avoid the rain.

The League registration was held to celebrate Women’s Equality Day, the anniversary of women receiving the right to vote in the United States, which occurred Aug. 26, 1920, according to LWV member Jo McQueen.

“Some women gave their whole lives to the cause,” McQueen said. “Most of those women didn’t live long enough to see it passed.”

LWV wore traditional suffragette costumes to registration table, however, according to Prue Dana, voter service vice president for the LWV, the best way to celebrate Women’s Equality Day is to register people to vote.

“We hope it will be a really big election day and it will be if people are registered to vote,” Dana said.

The League registered 110 students to vote at the registration event, which is more than triple the students who registered last year, according to McQueen.

Senior Justine Furbeck registered to vote at the LWV registration table.

“It was really easy,” Furbeck said. “They just had the form there for you and they gave you information about what ID to bring on the day you go.”

LWV invited College Democrats and College Republicans to assist in the registration.

Students have two options when voting at Miami: they can register to vote in Oxford or they can vote absentee at their parents’ address, according to Dana.

According to Dana, students should vote absentee if they are invested in their hometown politics.

“[Students] may be very involved at home with a school issue or a candidate so they may need to register absentee so that they can vote at home,” Dana said.

However, there are several reasons for students to vote in Oxford.

According to the LWV, it may be more convenient and quicker to vote in Oxford than voting absentee and it will allow students to have a say in the laws they are expected to follow in Oxford.

College Democrats President Laura Kretz said she encourages Miami students to vote locally.

“We’re a part of the community too,” Kretz said. “We may not be here all year long, but we are part of community just as well.”

Furbeck said she registered to vote locally.

“I’ve spent more time in Oxford over the last couple of years than I have in either home, Toledo or Chicago,” Furbeck said.

Kretz said it is easier for students to vote in Oxford because it can take a lot of time to receive and return an absentee ballot.

Students can vote at Shriver in between classes, according to Kretz.