Judge dismisses rape flier case

Campus Editor

Published: Monday, January 14, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 14, 2013 23:01

News sources The Cincinnati Enquirer and TV channel WCPO reported that charges were dropped in the case against a former Miami University student who posted a flier discussing “Top 10 Ways to Get Away with Rape.”

The former student previously plead guilty to disorderly conduct, but the case was dismissed following a suit by The Cincinnati Enquirer against Butler County Area I Court Judge Robert Lyons, who was overseeing the case.

The Enquirer is suing with the belief that Lyons should not have sealed the case, thereby preventing the former student’s identity from being reported.

After the charges were dismissed, Lyons sealed the case again, according to news sources.

There have been no new developments in the internal judicial process of the university, which is different and separate from the case that was heard by the Butler County Court, according to Claire Wagner, associate director of university communications.

“The culpability on campus – the level is higher, where as in the court system for an infraction, in general, there is beyond a reasonable doubt,” Wagner said. “It’s happened before where a student might face consequences for an action; different outcomes happen on campus versus in the courts.”

Attempts by The Miami Student to obtain information from Butler County Courts and the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office were unsuccessful.