Facing finals, students find relief in campus resources

Staff Writer

Published: Friday, November 30, 2012

Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012 00:11

As the semester winds down, students beginning to prepare for final exams can find help in various locations at Miami University.

The Rinella Learning Center offers a few extra services in the weeks leading up to finals. First, the center will host two finals prep workshops, which will help students break down their notes so they can study better, according to Jacqueline Walker, the coordinator for tutorial assistance at the center.

The next session, which is open to all subjects, will be held 4 to 6 p.m. Dec. 4 in room 13 of the Rinella center.

The center will also host a “tutoring blitz” 11a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9 in McGuffey 322. Students are encouraged to make appointments ahead of time at the center, but there will be eight tutors on standby ready to help in math, French, chemistry, physics, accounting and Spanish, according to Walker.

“We also have testing in our testing area during finals for students who have learning disabilities,” Walker said.

The Howe Writing Center for Excellence will be open during usual hours with consultations by appointment available 1 to 9 p.m. Sunday, and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The center also will have walk in consultations for students with quick questions available 1 to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, according to Kate Francis, manager of the Howe Center.

King Library will remain open 24 hours during finals week, and the Center for Information Management (CIM) will extend its hours until 2 a.m.

First-year J’aime Murray will take advantage of King Library.

“I’m going to try to get one of the private study rooms at the library so I can yell in frustration and not bother anyone else,” Murray said.

Other libraries will extend their hours as well for students seeking an alternative quiet place to study.

The Business Engineering Science and Technology (B.E.S.T.) library will be open until 2:00 a.m. instead of midnight starting Friday, Dec. 7 and both the Amos Music Library and the Wertz Art and Architecture Library will be open until 11 p.m. according to Jerome Conley, assistant dean of libraries.

“We encourage students to use our instruction rooms in Laws and King when there are no classes, so those will also be open,” Conley said.

Senior Matt Wall said he is glad the university offers other study areas besides King.

“I have little confidence that King will have any comfortable places to study this year, so I prefer to study at the Art and Architecture library,” Wall said.

All residence halls will also promote a quiet, study environment and will go on 24-hour quiet hours starting Friday, Dec. 7, according to Rob Abowitz, associate director of residence life.

According to Abowitz, students must leave the residence halls no later than 24 hours following their last final exam and no later than 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. However, if students are unable to be out by then, they may sign up for break housing on MyCard, Abowitz said.

“The goal is to create an environment in the residence halls conducive to studying and sleeping,” Abowitz said.

Students who have more than one exam scheduled at the same time will be able to make adjustments. When this occurs, the exam with the subject three-letter abbreviation that is nearest the beginning of the alphabet is adjusted, according to Marsha Walters, assistant director for scheduling.

According to Walters, students who have four or more final exams in a 24-hour period can also make adjustments by the same rule.