Brownell appointed VP for student affairs

Editorial Editor

Published: Friday, December 6, 2013

Updated: Friday, December 6, 2013 11:12

Miami University has appointed Jayne Brownell as the vice president for student affairs, according to a university press release. She will officially assume the position March 1.

Brownell, a Columbia University graduate, currently serves as the assistant vice president for student affairs at Hofstra University in Long Island, New York. In this position, she is responsible for more than 13,000 students.

Miami’s vice president of student affairs must oversee a division of more than 150 employees in residence life, student activities, among others. Brownell has worked in depth in such fields, and because of this, President David Hodge said he believes she is an ideal candidate for the position for Miami’s vice president of student affairs.

“Dr. Brownell’s leadership and broad, innovative experiences are paired with her sincere warmth and enthusiasm for students,” Hodge said in a press release. “We welcome her to Miami.”

Hodge said, as vice president of student affairs, one of Brownell’s top priorities is to provide programing about bystander intervention as a well as establishing a venue for non-drinking student activities.