Anonymous donors give $1.8 million to build new weight room in Goggin

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 21, 2013 23:02

Miami University hockey coaches and players are looking forward to the addition of an underground weight room with several sections to Goggin Ice Center, funded by a $1.8 million donation, according to Head Men’s Hockey Coach Enrico Blasi.

According to Blasi, these sections will include a hall of fame, media and coaches’ room, cardio room and an off-ice shooting practice room.

Two Miami University alumni, who wanted to remain anonymous for personal reasons, donated the $1.8 million to go towards the construction and equipment for the new project.

Blasi said he is looking forward to the addition, though the team is waiting on construction bids to be finalized before the project starts. He said he thinks this new addition will not only strengthen the team, but help recruit new players.

“We recruit against big schools and all the other programs have amenities that players are looking for,” Blasi said. “They look for a program that will develop their careers.”

Many of the hockey players feel they are finally getting what was left out of the facility, and that it is going to have a positive effect on their program.

Freshman goalie, Anthony Jacaruso said he thinks it’s going to take the program to another level.

“When you think about having a weight and cardio room right at the rink, you are already saving travel time, which means we can use that time more efficiently,” Jacaruso said. “Altogether I think it is going to have a positive effect for not only the players, but for the future success of our program.”

According to Assistant Athletic Director Josh Fenton, the hockey team has to travel across campus to the Gross Center to work out, so having the convenience to walk across the hallway will be beneficial.

“There are restrictions on how many hours they are allowed to practice,” Fenton said. “In season it will be convenient so they don’t have to walk from the south side of campus to the north side.”

First-year defense player Christopher Joyaux is also excited about the new facilities, and hopes he will still be here once the construction is complete.

“I believe that construction shall be completed hopefully starting my junior year,” Joyaux said. “It would be incredible to get to use the new weight room and shooting room.”

Hockey fans are just as excited.

Junior Kayley Williams said she’s thrilled about the new addition.

“I think the hockey team deserves this and needs it,” Williams said. “They work so hard and do so well. I think many fans are excited to see how this affects their game in a positive way.”

The construction and equipment will be covered by the donation, and Blasi said the staff at the arena would maintain the upkeep of the equipment and facilities.

Fenton also said that any additional costs will be privately funded.

“Additional upkeep and maintenance will be taken through private funding,” Fenton said. “There will be no additional costs that the students’ will be charged.”

They have the hopes that they will raise about and beyond the total cost of the new structure. For people who fear that construction will impact walking in the area, Fenton said they should not worry.

“It should only affect the varsity hockey players and their access points to the locker room during construction, albeit minor.”

Blasi said he’s looking forward to using the media and coaches room. He explained that during the week, the room would be used to meet with the players and go over practice and game videos and also watch video of their opponents.

“During the weekends the room will be used for interviews with the media because right now we are doing it in the hallway,” Blazi said.

With the starting date left undetermined, the coaches, players and fans anxiously await the construction.