5 slates file petitons for student body presidential, vice presidential positions

Published: Monday, March 4, 2013

Updated: Monday, March 4, 2013 23:03

Five slates will vie for next year’s student body presidential and vice presidential positions for the next three weeks. Each slate, which includes a presidential candidate and his or her running mate, submitted petitions for positions Feb. 22. The student body will vote for each slate March 27 through March 28. The following lists each slate’s background information, involvement and platform stances. Tickets are listed in alphabetical order.

Presidential Candidate Anik Chaudhry and Vice Presidential Candidate Ben Cederoth

Background Information: Chaudhry is a first-year information systems and analytics major. Cederoth is a first-year accounting major.

Involvement: Chaudhry competes on Miami’s policy debate time and won the Ohio State Championship for Lincoln Douglas Debate, which involves talking about governmental policies. He is a member of Dorsey Hall community council, serving as a corridor and community service representative. Cederoth is a corridor representative in Dorsey Hall.

Platform: Chaudhry and Cederoth believe that student engagement is lacking across campus. They plan on expanding the government in playing a bigger role in the daily lives of students on campus.

In addition, the two contend that there are many day-to-day issues that can easily be fixed through simple improvement of technology. Chaudhry said that there many open source sections of software that can notify students when a bus is nearby or tell one how long the wait is for Miami Door-to-Door so he or she can know whether or not to make a reservation.

“We believe that implementing these systems into Miami University at a low cost will improve the daily lives of students,” Chaudry said.

Chaudhry and Cederoth hope to increase their experience throughout the campaigning process.

“There has been concern in regards to my experience and ability to lead because I’m a first-year,” Chaudhry said. “The only justifiable concern that has been voiced in regards to running for student body president is that I do not have as wide a range of contacts as other candidates. Connections are formed through personal contact with the various groups on campus, which is what I am doing throughout the campaigning process.”

Presidential Candidate Calvin Davis and Vice Presidential Candidate Brooke Shirley

Background Information: Davis is a junior marketing major. Shirley is a junior triple majoring in political science, black world studies and sports studies for the pre-law program.

Involvement: Davis is the current president for Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council and is an off-campus senator for ASG. In ASG, he participates in the funding and audit committees and is a member of the Oxford Tenant’s Organization. He has served as secretary of the NHPC and secretary and treasurer of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. Shirley is president of the Miami University Gospel Singers and is press and publicity chair for the Miami chapter NAACP.

Platform: Davis and Shirley said they believe real change will take place only if the campus can come together as whole.

“We are asking students to dare to believe in themselves, and to realize that they have the ability to create change in this community,” Davis said.

Davis explained that his platform is advocating an increase in safety on campus, which includes passing the Medical Amnesty Bill.

“We feel like the safety of the students on campus is something that everyone can rally behind,” he said. “[Medical Amnesty] passed in ASG but the entire campus needs to be aware and support this program if we expect the administration to listen so we don’t continue to punish people who make the right moral decision, no matter the situation.”

In addition, Davis and Shirley are campaigning for reevaluation of the Door-to-Door system, which may include adding a second bus or supplementing it with a student-run system.

Presidential Candidate Forrest McGuire and Vice Presidential Candidate Lot Kwarteng

Background Information: McGuire is a senior management and leadership major. Kwarteng is a junior political science and entrepreneurship major.

Involvement: McGuire is the president of the Havighurst Community Council, and current chief of staff for ASG. He has served at president of Chi Psi fraternity. As chief of staff, McGuire has co-authored legislation such as the Medical Amnesty Bill, attended Student Affair Council meetings, interviewed students for the student trustee position and appointed nearly 100 undergraduates to various university committees. He is also an active member of the Academic Policy Committee. Kwarteng is a current Student Trustee, a member of the Academic Advising Council, and is a member of the Professional Development Faculty Learning Community.