Business fraternity date auction battles cancer

Published: Monday, November 25, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 00:12

The business fraternity Pi Sigma Epsilon (PSE) is hosting a charity date auction at The Wood’s Sidebar. Proceeds will go toward breast cancer research and awareness. Jillian Moran is a member of PSE. She is helping plan the event, which takes place 9 p.m.Tuesday, Dec. 3.

“100 percent of the proceeds go to the Karen Wellington Foundation," Moran said. "We partnered with the foundation last year and they’re really great at supporting women with breast cancer. Anyone can bid."

PSE member Danielle Antony managed the Date Auction event last year.

“The foundation sends women and their family with breast cancer on vacations," Antony said. "Our charity is also to build awareness for the Karen Wellington Foundation."

According to the Karen Wellington Foundation’s official website, the foundation began in 2007 in honor of Karen Wellington who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 30. Married with two kids, she lived her final 10 years to the fullest.

“We collect volunteers of students and faculty, some of which are nominated by their friends," Moran said. "People interested can sign up on our Facebook page and we are reaching out to sororities and athletic teams on campus for folks to be auctioned off."

Anyone can sign up to be a date, as long as they do so before 12 p.m. noon Dec. 2, current manager of the event Zach Paul said.

According to Moran, the students and faculty being auctioned off will go on stage at The Wood’s bar. The emcee will recite a short bio of the person and the bidding will begin. Bidding typically starts off at $10, but it can get pricey.

“Last year, the dean of the business school went for $300,” Paul said.

The person auctioned off is also sometimes attached with other incentives.

“A few extras are also included or auctioned off on their own," Antony said. "For instance, tickets to football games. Local places in Oxford like Buffalo Wild Wings donate gift cards to the event. We raised $3,200 last year, which is $26 higher than 2011."

The Wood’s is a supporter of the event. In addition to hosting the auction, they have had drink specials in the past and this year will be no different.

“There will also be live entertainment from some local bands,” Paul said.

Before things kick off at The Wood’s, there will be a pre-game at La Piñata in Oxford from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Some of the profits La Piñata makes will also be donated to the Karen Wellington Foundation.

“La Piñata is also extending their happy hour another hour for us,” Paul said.

The event, Antony said, is a fun and unique way to raise money.

“A lot of the event is friends coming out to support their friends being auctioned off," Antony said. "It’s just the idea of the date auction that’s fun."

However, those auctioned off are not required to go on a date.

“They are not bound to go on a date," Moran said. "They can meet each other at our event and set something up on their own if they would like."