Author, reporter, alum named May commencement speaker

News Editor

Published: Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 01:01

Miami University announced yesterday that author, reporter and alumnus Wil Haygood will speak at the May 2013 commencement ceremony. According to Carole Johnson, assistant director of university news and communication, Haygood has been a journalist for the Washington Post since 2002.

He is the author of five books, a Pulitzer Prize finalist, and has earned a National Headliner Award, Sunday Magazine Editors Award and National Association of Black Journalists Award, among other awards and distinctions for feature writing and national and foreign reporting.

For the Washington Post, Haygood covered Hurricane Katrina and reported on Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign. His 2008 front-page story about White House butler Eugene Allen is the inspiration for the film “The Butler,” directed by Lee Daniels due to be released next fall. The film stars Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker, Jane Fonda, Cuba Gooding Jr. Vanessa Redgrave and Robin Williams. Haygood is an associate producer of the movie.

Currently, Haygood is writing a book about Thurgood Marshall, former Supreme Court Justice and Brown v. Board of Education lawyer.